All candidates applying for any program at the institute must have any of the following qualifications:
- A minimum of five credits in WAEC/SSSCE/GCE/NECO in commercial and arts subjects and this must include Mathematics and English language. Courses like Economics, Commerce, Accounting, Business Method, Government, Statistics are recommended.
- Advance level qualifications from schools of Arts and Sciences, National Diploma, Nigeria Certificate in Education would qualify for exemptions from some subjects in level one and two of their course of choice.
- Higher qualifications like HND, BSc, BBA, BA, etc in related disciplines would be appraised for subject to subject exemption at the Advanced Diploma or Graduate Diploma levels of their course of study.
- Graduates from disciplines other than Business or Administration would have to start from the scratch – level one of their course of study.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Disciplines would be evaluated and required to write a qualifying examination after three months upgrade program.
- MBA/MSc graduates would be evaluated depending on their course of choice with the institute and advised accordingly. This may require more examinations or approval for Associate membership if all conditions are met.
- Graduates from similar professional institutions would be evaluated on a subject to subject exemptions.
- Direct membership is available to Associates of the Institute after five years of continuous professional update program. Experienced professionals may be granted membership if they meet the requirement of the Governing Council of the Institute.