There is the urgent need to return to the old days in our standard of education in terms of content, delivery, monitoring and evaluation. The standard of education is falling despite the advent of modern information technology including the internet that should enhance it. The truth is that the basics are ignored by modern day educational Administrators.
We identify the problems associated with our educational system to be:
1. Poor quality of teachers. Teachers of the good old days were trained in Teacher training colleges and well equipped to handle primary school which is the foundation stone of childhood education. Do we still have a single Teacher training college in Nigeria? We now have colleges of education with standards less than the TC2. The graduates of these schools have little or nothing to impact on our educational system as their teachers are not even qualified to teach at that level.
2. Lack of learning materials is another bane in our educational system. In those days, when you pay your children school fees, they are supplied all necessary textbooks and writing materials on the day of resumption. Today, most students have no textbooks. They are only lucky to have notebooks. Mathematica Set and drawing crayons are now privileges.
3. Dedicated teachers are no more. What we have now are Business men and women or farmers in the rural areas. They focus more on life outside school and neglect the children. It has become only a stepping stone to better paying jobs in oil and gas, banking and telecommunication. There is hardly any proud teacher anymore. How noble is the noble Profession now?
4. Lack of supervision by both internal and external inspectors. Teachers are not supervised by the headmasters and inspectors from the ministry of education. Teachers rarely write proper lesson notes checked by the headmasters or his Vice. Teaching is no more methodical, captivating and interesting. Students are not sufficiently engaged by their supposed mentors.
5. Lack of extra Curriculum activities after normal School hours. Engagement in sports, arts and crafts, general School labor, social gathering, guardian counseling, free lessons, civics and moral instructions are lacking in our Schools today. Children go to school, help teachers to hawk or plate hair and have two or three lessons instead of eight, close and go home till next day. The poorly groomed teachers often give assignments that they cannot solve. What a shame.
6. Modern teachers are psychedelic. They dress very poorly in unofficial outfits unbefitting of mentors. The attitude and carriage of our teachers is reckless. Their relationship with students sometimes unprofessional. We hear of teachers sharing students lunch or asking parents for help. Where is the dignity of the Nation builder. Majority of the teachers should actually be students elsewhere.
7. Poor motivation of teachers by authorities is not only criminal but also wicked and insensitive. How do you expect a hungry teacher to perform. How on earth should teachers not be paid their salaries for months. The authorities have reduced the profession that made them to beggars.